Swap Meet Ads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double up. Hydro-dipping and tombstones.

Double up. Hydro-dipping and tombstones.

Tag team make-n-take with Ken and Crawford.

July 13th, 11 am HeatSync labs.

Ken will host hydro dipping tumblers.
    Crawford will be running tombstones on the laser engraver concurrently.

We'll each be posting our details, costs, materials, etc.
    Last edited by JustJimAZ; 06-28-2019 at 06:23 AM.

I believe the simplest way for us to have materials is for everyone to buy their own supplies.
    For tumblers, either bring your own from home, our go to Wal-mart and buy an Ozark tumbler. I recommend the 20 oz or 32 oz sizes, they are $8-$10 apiece. Stainless works just fine, colored tumblers work too, if you find the color you want as your base color.

We'll also need spray paint. If we can get a few people to buy one color each, that would be great. I'll verify the brand, as I've forgotten which one I use, but I know they are $4 apiece at ACE. ACE has the best color selection, the best.

Someone else posted they had ideas for vinyl, who was that? Worst case, we can also make some there at Heatsync if their gear is set up.

the spray paint I have been using is Rust-o-leum American Accents 2X Ultra cover paint and primer. At ACE Hardware, there are 5 shades for every color.

For the tombstones, I'll provide foam board for anyone who RSVPs plus some extras. A single sheet is $13, and will make two small (~1'x2') tombstones or one large (~2'x4') tombstone. If you want to bring your own foam, make sure to buy this specific board: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-1-in...lation/3050991. Unlike most insulation board, this specific kind and brand etches well, so it really matters what you buy. I will provide some graphics to place on tombstones, and then I'll walk you through setting up the design and operating the laser. If you have a specific image you want, please send it to me by private message at least a couple of days before the event, as not all graphics will laser well, or in a reasonable amount of time. If you have a very specific design in mind, please download the free design program InkScape, which lets you create a design file that can be directly imported into the laser. If you have a laptop computer, it wouldn't hurt to bring it to the Make and Take, so that I can show you how to use InkScape if time permits. Note that in addition to tombstones, you can also make signs or plaques, as long as they fit within the dimensions described above. If you have any questions, please ask!

What type of file imports into the laser? Vector or raster? I use illustrator and can export may different file formats

RSVP 2 for Tombstones! My wife and I will be attending. Excited about the possibilities with this, from Tombstones to even making custom Crypt walls! I'll stop by Lowes and pickup a couple sheets of the foam. Is there a particular paint you would recommend?

Crawford please reserve 1 foam board for me.

Hello Crawford

I would like to reserve 1 foam board for me. I'll be at the make and take hope this gets to you I'm new to posting on here.

@CrawfordH - I'd like to reserve 1 foam board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacuda View Post
    What type of file imports into the laser? Vector or raster? I use illustrator and can export may different file formats
    If it's just an image, raster. If it's a whole design save it as a vector, such as dxf. Make sure to send the file my way beforehand to check that it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat Kitty View Post
    RSVP 2 for Tombstones! My wife and I will be attending. Excited about the possibilities with this, from Tombstones to even making custom Crypt walls! I'll stop by Lowes and pickup a couple sheets of the foam. Is there a particular paint you would recommend?
    Any water-based paint should be ok, as well as spray paints specifically marked as safe for plastic (applied gently). Once you"ve covered it with a safe paint you can then carefully apply less-safe paints like stone texture paints and the like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast